Wednesday, March 16, 2011

No, you're a colon!

This post was originally from my blog "What's with today, today?"


Life likes to throw darts at you…
Dodge them.
Catch them.
Don’t let them hit you where it hurts.
I’m not one who likes to complain about the deck of cards I’ve been dealt. I can accept it, come to a compromise and move on.
October wasn’t exactly the easiest month for me – turns out either were the last 3 years. I had frequent visits to doctors and the ER. I got used to hearing the diagnosis of Gastritis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my favorite, "it's all in your head." It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I demanded a colonoscopy. The procedure in itself is not too bad. You're put under, so the scary thought of someone staring at your bare butt isn't so bad. However, the night before is pure hell. You can forget about getting sleep. You CAN count on spending the entire night with your butt glued to the toilet. Just place some scented candles in the bathroom and a lot of books or magazines. This is generally not a typical procedure for someone under the age of, ohhhh, 40! But this can be a miracle procedure. If it wasn't for that small camera shoved up my butt, I would have waited another three years to be diagnosed. My colonoscopy discovery: Crohns Disease, with Colitis.
Not exactly what I was wanting to hear, but finally it all made sense! Now I have this unpleasant love/hate relationship with GI doctors. My favorite (total sarcasm) was the doctors in Santa Fe. Wow, just WOW! I had a lady GI tell me to "fuc**ing read the labels," she was convinced I had an allergy to dairy. I was "ignoring" whey in the ingredients. Also, she proceeded to tell me that I was depressed and that caused all my stomach pain. Well, heck yeah lady, of course I'm depressed. Everyone thinks I'm a hypochondriac! About four months later I had my gallbladder removed. Thank you for listening Ms. GI devil woman. Good thing it didn't explode and cause even bigger problems. I still want to write you a mean letter giving you a piece of my mind!


I'm a firm believer in the saying, "follow your gut!" I didn't make it up and I had the symptoms for a reason. Generally it takes doing your own research and approaching the doctors. They never want to take that extra step and find out what's wrong. I've been told I'm a GI doctors worst nightmare. I did watch a lot of Freddy Krueger as a child, but I don't think my symptoms were that scary to approach!
I can gladly say that I'm practically in remission and on my way to figuring out how to live with Crohns. My life will consist of medication and monthly injections, but at least now I know it wasn't all "in my head." You still have to be the squeaky wheel that always gets the grease. I still have to do all my research (with love and support from my family). BUT, I will never again accept the cold shoulder from a doctor. Demand what you want. Now I can sometimes laugh about it all and call myself a colon. Bowel movements tend to be the topic of conversation in the Camarena house...live and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment